This is a super easy recipe!! I normally make tomato rice in a different manner (you can see the recipe here). What makes this recipe different is that you cook tomatoes as 'whole' along with the rice; which means you don't chop the tomatoes. I saw this method first on a Japanese video and was intrigued. It looked very interesting and on trying it, it is not only simple but the rice has an amazing flavor as well :)
I have not followed the original recipe per se - have combined flavors as per my choice. So you can be creative and experiment as well. It is a kid friendly recipe and would also make a perfect lunch box item. As the method is pretty intriguing, I have tried my hand at making my first recipe video. It is a very humble attempt. Hope to improve with time (should I choose to make another video that is lol).
It is definitely easier in a rice cooker but you can cook it on the stove top like how I have done. Make sure you use a pan with a tight lid though. Do no keep stirring the rice from time to time as that would make it mushy, by releasing the starch. You could try adding other spices too. For me this combo worked out well. Try it and let me know :)
You can view my recipe video below:
(In case you cannot view the below video please follow this link: http://youtu.be/kaND4Dt1Rzc)
Whole Tomato Rice: RecipeIngredients:
- Tomato - 3 medium, ends trimmed
- Onion - 1 small chopped
- Garlic - 3 cloves chopped or minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Basmati rice - 1/2 cup, washed and presoaked for at least 30 mins
- Water - 1.5 cups
- Parmesan cheese (grated / shaved) - about 1/4 cup or more
- Cilantro - chopped for garnish
- Olive oil - 1 tbsp
- Heat oil in a pan. Add the onion and garlic. Saute for few minutes till the onion turns translucent.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Followed by the drained rice. Give it a quick mix. Pour the water and stir.
- Place the tomatoes into the rice water mix. At this point you can taste the water to see if the salt is enough. If not add more.
- Cover with a tight lid and let it cook on a low flame undisturbed for about 10 to 15 mins.
- Give it a quick stir. Once the rice is cooked and the tomatoes are soft, mash the tomatoes. Combine well.
- Add the cilantro and the parmesan cheese and stir. Serve hot.