Another attempt from one of my cookbooks, I decided to try this recipe since I have never cooked mung beans (or green gram) with potato before. Was curious to find out what that combination is like and I must say I was not disappointed. You can read about the health benefits of eating mung beans on my previous post - Green Gram Coconut curry.
This is also a very simple recipe that barely takes any time for preparation. One of the biggest plus points of mung beans is that they do not require soaking and cook fast, unlike other legumes. I have tweaked the recipe a bit to suit my convenience. The original recipe asks you to boil the beans and potatoes separately. I pressure cooked it together which takes very little time. Goes really well with steamed rice. My hubby quite enjoyed it!
Mung Beans with Potato: Recipe(Source: Best Ever Indian Cookbook by Mridula B. et al)
- Mung beans or green gram - 1/2 cup
- Potato - 1 medium diced
- Onion - 1 medium finely chopped
- Tomatoes - 2 medium finely chopped
- Tomato paste - 1 tsp
- Green chilli - 1 slit
- Garlic paste - 1 tsp
- Ginger paste - 3/4 tsp
- Cumin powder - 1/2 tsp
- Red chilli powder - 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves - few sprigs
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- In a pressure cooker, add the beans, potato, green chilli and a pinch of turmeric powder and salt. Pour enough water (I added about 2 cups) and cook till both the beans and potato are tender (took me about 4 whistles).
- Heat oil in a wok and add the mustard seeds. Once they splutter, add the curry leaves and chopped onion. Fry for few seconds.
- Then add the garlic and ginger paste. Saute for few minutes till the onions are golden brown.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and cook well till they are soft and form a good gravy.
- Add the tomato paste, turmeric powder, chilli powder and cumin powder. Stir for few seconds.
- To this add the cooked mung beans and potato. Stir lightly and mix well for few minutes. Adjust salt. Serve hot with steamed rice.
Apt for my ongoing event - Gimme Green:
And linking this to Love Lock Series - Legumes by Zesty Palette: