I have been bumping into various recipes of crepes for past few days. So this weekend I decided to try fresh strawberry crepes for breakfast. Crepe is nothing but a very thin pancake and has its origin in France. This recipe is an amalgam of the various recipes I came across while browsing and I must confess it is indeed a brekkie delight! Fresh strawberries always impart a sweet yet tart, fresh taste to these crepes. And the addition of cottage cheese to the crepe batter gives it a creamy texture and enhances the flavour of these crepes.
Once you have the basic idea of how to form a crepe batter then there are endless possibilities to come up with varied crepes and fillings of your choice. Check out this interesting site which can give you some wonderful ideas to begin with. So go ahead and try these quick, refreshing and delightful beauties for breakfast. I am sure you will not be disappointed!
Strawberry Crepes with Cottage Cheese - Recipe:
- Fresh ripe strawberries - 1 small pack or as required
- All purpose flour - 3/4 cup
- Caster sugar - 2 tbsp
- Low fat milk - as required
- Cottage Cheese - about 50gm
- Egg - 1 lightly beaten
- Baking powder - 1 tsp
- Honey - as required
- Blend the cottage cheese, 1 or 2 fresh strawberries and sugar with some milk into a smooth paste.
- In a mixing bowl, take all the dry ingredients (flour and baking powder) and whisk it to mix them.
- Then add the egg and gradually add milk to form a smooth batter for making the crepes. It should not be too thick or too thin.
- Heat a non stick pan and grease it with butter or vegetable oil. Add a scoop of the batter and then spread it in concentric circles to form a thin crepe.
- When the bottom side is crisp and golden brown, flip it with a spatula and let the other side cook.
- Prepare the remaining crepes in a similar manner.
- To serve, smear a generous amount of honey on each crepe and add fresh strawberry slices. Fold both the ends towards the center and enjoy! You can add any filling of your choice.