Avocado Frozen Yogurt



Yes, you read that right - Avocado frozen yogurt! As they say 'necessity is definitely the mother of invention' or in my case I would say creation! I am glad that I am gradually becoming a cook who thinks of making dishes with what is available in my pantry (unlike before when I used to run between home and the store to grab each ingredient for the recipe I had in mind). I think that's what makes cooking more fun and interesting??

Had two avocados lying in my kitchen store looking at me mercifully - I could feel them yell at me 'Use us or else you gotta throw us in the bin soon'. I was already planning on making strawberry frozen yogurt but then I thought why not try avocado frozen yogurt. Almost ready to kick start my new recipe, I was still a bit skeptical about how the flavours would gel together - rich creamy texture and nutty flavour of avocado with the sourness of yogurt; adding honey for sweetness - it did sound like a healthy version of ice cream to me! Still unsure, I decided to Google and was surprised to find numerous recipes for the same!!  I don't have an ice cream maker but I came across David Lebovitz's recipe for making ice cream at home without using a machine and was fascinated by the idea. It seemed pretty easy and now that I have tried it, I can tell you, it indeed is. (As no stabilizers are added, the yogurt has a tendency to freeze further and hardens with time. So it is recommended that you make small batches, as required. Storing left overs may not be a good idea in this case!)

Of course, this post would not be complete unless I mention about the goodness of this amazing fruit! Here are some of the many health benefits of including avocado in your diet (source: greenparenthood.com):

  • Reducing the bad cholesterol and triglycerides
  • Regulating blood pressure and preventing circulatory diseases.
  • High folate content.
  • Presence of carotenoids promotes the health of our eyes.
  • Shown to inhibit growth of cancerous cells.
  • Powerhouse of vitamin E that promotes skin health.
  • Rich in antioxidants, helps in slowing symptoms of aging.

I am sure that is enough 'food for thought'. Now onto my recipe. My avocados were a bit over ripe so make sure you use good ones in order to get that awesome green colour for your scoop. 

Avocado Frozen Yogurt: Recipe


Ingredients:
  • Ripe Avocado - 2 roughly chopped
  • Low fat yogurt - 1 1/2  cup
  • Honey - 1/4  cup
  • Vanilla Essence - 1 tsp
Method:
  1. Blend all the ingredients together to form a smooth mixture.
  2. Pour it into a container (that can withstand the freezer temperature) and then put it in the freezer.
  3. After the first 45 minutes or when you see the sides are beginning to freeze, blend the mixture again. I stirred it vigorously with a spoon. You can also use a hand held blender.
  4. Then put it back in the freezer. Continue this process at regular intervals till you get a good creamy and frozen yogurt consistency. Took me few hours but definitely worth the effort!


    Flies off to my ongoing event: Gimme GREEN!





    Also linking this to Saint Patrick challenge on Very Good recipes, Ramya's ABC series: Fruit Fiesta and Just4Fun by Shobha:













    27 comments:

    1. Very healthy yummy and delicious yogurt.

      Cuisine Delights
      My First Event - "COLOURFUL HOLI".

      ReplyDelete
    2. rosh looks sinfully good !!!!!

      ReplyDelete
    3. Mind blowing dessert!! Frozen Yogurt was on my 'go list' and see I find it here before I could open my freezer. :)
      I liked that addition on Avocado...quite a unique idea! :)

      ReplyDelete
    4. thats amazing deasr....I missed out your ongoing event, will link in entries from today dear...

      ReplyDelete
    5. a unique idea. yummy looking yogurt

      ReplyDelete
    6. yummy recipe and awesome pics..ive never made anything with avocado, as everytime i see them in the market, i wonder how to choose them..any tips? thanks for linking with my event

      ReplyDelete
    7. very yummy and interesting .... healthy too rich in goof nutrients ...easy way to make kids eat avacodos too
      www.sriyafood.blogspot.com

      ReplyDelete
    8. Creamy and yummy froyo. Looks so inviting

      ReplyDelete
    9. Wow, this looks awesome, a very healthy one too..

      ReplyDelete
    10. Thanks a lot guys!!

      @Ramya: When I buy Avocados I look for ripe ones - they are normally blackish green in colour and when you apply slight pressure with your thumb and index finger the flesh succumbs a bit (too much means they are close to rotten). The unripe avocados are bright / dark green. In case you cannot find ripe ones, you can buy the unripe ones and leave it in your store (preferably next to other fruits like bananas) and they will ripe within 3 to 4 days. Hope this helps :)

      ReplyDelete
    11. wow, very innovative, avocado is my fav..this looks absolutely yummy...Thanx a lot for sending it to my event.

      Join the Just "4" Fun event :)

      ReplyDelete
    12. Wow, avocado and frozen yogurt....that's brilliant! It looks delicious. :)

      ReplyDelete
    13. this looks greta rosh & i notice the million changes in your blog & they looks absolutely fab :)

      A green entry is pending from my end... will send it very soon for the event..:)

      Ongoing Event: I'm a STAR

      ReplyDelete
    14. 1st time iam seeing this..looks yumm.vl try 2 make this 4 sure..thanx 4 sharing dear......
      Maha

      ReplyDelete
    15. I don't like eating anything frozen. That's weird I know !! But i would love to eat it without freezing it :)

      ReplyDelete
    16. wow....the frozen yogurt looks delicious dear.....I got to try it sometime !

      ReplyDelete
    17. oh wow, what a fabulous idea! love that green colour

      ReplyDelete
    18. Avocado in yogurt... that is good..:)) loved the idea and the pics looks awesome..:)

      The concept fir your event is fab... I am yet to send my entries..:))

      Glad to follow you dear..:))

      Reva

      ReplyDelete
    19. I've had avocado ice-cream before and it was delicious so I'm sure this works really well - and so healthy too!

      ReplyDelete
    20. What a nice recipe. This is a perfect afternoon snack. Thanks for sharing.
      Good luck on challenge!

      ReplyDelete
    21. I have never even thought of something like this. I`m intrigued. I may try this, thank you!

      ReplyDelete
    22. Yummy & healthy tempting icecream ....

      ReplyDelete
    23. Very new recipe for me.. I love Avocado so will try for sure

      Great-secret-of-life.blogspot.com

      ReplyDelete
    24. i lykd dis..wud try it definitely...

      ReplyDelete

    Thanks for dropping by. Your comments and feedback are highly appreciated. Happy Cooking!