Yes, you read that right - Avocado frozen yogurt! As they say 'necessity is definitely the mother of invention' or in my case I would say creation! I am glad that I am gradually becoming a cook who thinks of making dishes with what is available in my pantry (unlike before when I used to run between home and the store to grab each ingredient for the recipe I had in mind). I think that's what makes cooking more fun and interesting??
Had two avocados lying in my kitchen store looking at me mercifully - I could feel them yell at me 'Use us or else you gotta throw us in the bin soon'. I was already planning on making strawberry frozen yogurt but then I thought why not try avocado frozen yogurt. Almost ready to kick start my new recipe, I was still a bit skeptical about how the flavours would gel together - rich creamy texture and nutty flavour of avocado with the sourness of yogurt; adding honey for sweetness - it did sound like a healthy version of ice cream to me! Still unsure, I decided to Google and was surprised to find numerous recipes for the same!! I don't have an ice cream maker but I came across David Lebovitz's recipe for making ice cream at home without using a machine and was fascinated by the idea. It seemed pretty easy and now that I have tried it, I can tell you, it indeed is. (As no stabilizers are added, the yogurt has a tendency to freeze further and hardens with time. So it is recommended that you make small batches, as required. Storing left overs may not be a good idea in this case!)
Of course, this post would not be complete unless I mention about the goodness of this amazing fruit! Here are some of the many health benefits of including avocado in your diet (source: greenparenthood.com):
- Reducing the bad cholesterol and triglycerides
- Regulating blood pressure and preventing circulatory diseases.
- High folate content.
- Presence of carotenoids promotes the health of our eyes.
- Shown to inhibit growth of cancerous cells.
- Powerhouse of vitamin E that promotes skin health.
- Rich in antioxidants, helps in slowing symptoms of aging.
I am sure that is enough 'food for thought'. Now onto my recipe. My avocados were a bit over ripe so make sure you use good ones in order to get that awesome green colour for your scoop.
Avocado Frozen Yogurt: Recipe
- Ripe Avocado - 2 roughly chopped
- Low fat yogurt - 1 1/2 cup
- Honey - 1/4 cup
- Vanilla Essence - 1 tsp
- Blend all the ingredients together to form a smooth mixture.
- Pour it into a container (that can withstand the freezer temperature) and then put it in the freezer.
- After the first 45 minutes or when you see the sides are beginning to freeze, blend the mixture again. I stirred it vigorously with a spoon. You can also use a hand held blender.
- Then put it back in the freezer. Continue this process at regular intervals till you get a good creamy and frozen yogurt consistency. Took me few hours but definitely worth the effort!
Also linking this to Saint Patrick challenge on Very Good recipes, Ramya's ABC series: Fruit Fiesta and Just4Fun by Shobha: