As refreshing as it looks, is the taste of this amazingly simple dessert. Was watching Masterchef Australia the other day... in comes Jamie Oliver as the celebrity chef in the pressure test. It was such a joy to see him whip up his entire antipasti in just 30 minutes! His nonchalant style of cooking to produce something so stunning was very impressive and would inspire any aspiring chef. So I thought I will browse through Jamie Oliver recipes hoping to find something easy yet tempting. And that is how I came across this lovely dessert from his collection - Jamie's 30-Minute Meals (I have every intention of trying his Summer Veg Lasagne as well! Coming soon...).
I haven't followed his recipe to the T; he uses frozen mangoes, I used fresh mangoes; he uses plain yogurt, I used thick, creamy Greek yogurt; he simply leaves it in the freezer to set while I used my newly acquired (a handy gift from my adorable parents) ice cream maker to make this frozen dessert. But the flavors are exactly the same and probably that's what matters! The combination of ripe mangoes and zesty flavors of fresh mint and lime peel is definitely what makes the difference to an otherwise simple frozen yogurt. This is an ideal dessert to end any heavy meal on a sweet note, without loading up on too much calories unlike ice creams and yet tastes pretty close...Now that's indeed a sweet deal ;)
Frozen Mango Yogurt - Recipe:
(Source: Adapted from Jamie's 30-Minute Meals)
- Ripe mango - 2 large (about 400 gm each), roughly chopped
- Greek yogurt - 450 gm
- Fresh mint leaves - 5 to 6
- Honey - 4 to 5 tbsp (or to taste)
- Lime zest - from 1 lime
- Blend the chopped mangoes, yogurt, honey, mint and lime zest.
- Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and leave it on till set. If you do not have an ice cream maker you can check out an alternate method - refer to my recipe for Avocado frozen yogurt.
- Serve it chilled with some grated chocolate on top. Perfect to beat the hot summer!