After making my regular pumpkin sabzi, I had some pumpkin still left and was wondering what I can do with it. Browsing through (and it was Halloween…) I could see pumpkin recipes popping up all over on my computer screen. One that caught my eye was the pumpkin pancake. Never thought of it so I was very eager to try it for breakfast. And they were absolutely amazing! Soft, fluffy and delicious; we enjoyed every bite of it.
Probably coz I didn't use much of pumpkin it didn't have a pumpkin flavor as such but definitely a recipe for keeps! What better way of sneaking in something as good as pumpkin and enjoying a good 'American' breakfast ;) It is very easy to make and I am sure kids would love it :)
Pumpkin Pancakes Recipe:
(Source: Adapted from Sallys Baking Addiction)
- Whole wheat flour - 1/2 cup
- All purpose flour - 1/2 cup
- Fresh pumpkin - about 1/2 cup, cubed and steamed
- Egg - 1 large
- Baking powder - 3/4 tsp
- Baking soda - 1/4 tsp
- Brown sugar - 1/4 cup
- Low fat milk - 3/4 cup
- Vegetable oil - 2 tsp
- Salt - 1 pinch
- Cinnamon powder - 1/2 tsp
- Butter - as required
- Combine the dry ingredients - flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, brown sugar and cinnamon powder. Make sure there are no lumps. Set aside.
- Blend the wet ingredients (I used a hand blender) - egg, milk, oil and also add the cooked pumpkin; to a smooth batter.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients mixed to this wet batter. Folding it gently. Do not over mix. Combine until its all just mixed. It need not be a very smooth batter.
- Heat a griddle or non stick frying pan. Grease it with some butter. The pan should be quite hot.
- Pour a ladle of the pancake batter. And let it cook. When you see bubbles forming on the top surface flip it and let the other side cook. Once both sides are cooked take it off and store in an insulated container so that it retains the heat.
- Continue the same way. You should be able to get around 6 pancakes using the above measurements.
- To serve, stack all the pancakes. Drizzle maple syrup or honey on top and add a blob of butter. Serve it warm.