This is a very simple dish to make! In fact it is something that I make quite often due to lack of time. I love pasta for the very same reason as cooking pasta makes for an almost instant meal that is yummy and filling too. I have used ready made tomato puree to make the sauce but if you have the time you can definitely substitute freshly pureed tomatoes. And if you do not have cream cheese handy, try adding any other grated fresh cheese like parmesan or mozzarella, it will still turn out great.
If you like more sauce then add more tomato sauce and a bit of the water in which the pasta was boiled. You could add mixed vegetables of your choice to make it a more healthier meal. So the next time you are lazy to cook and tempted to order some restaurant food, why not try making this instead - homemade and fresh food is always the best, is it not? ;) Enjoy!
Cream Cheese Tomato Pasta: Recipe
- Pasta of your choice - 1 cup
- Tomato puree - 1/2 to 3/4 cup
- Garlic - 4 to 5 cloves crushed
- Italian mixed herbs - 1/4 tsp
- Salt and black pepper - to taste
- Extra virgin olive oil - 1 tbsp
- Cream cheese spread - 1 heaped tsp or more
- Fresh basil leaves - a handful, torn
- Boil pasta in enough water and adding good amount of salt. Drain and set aside.
- Warm olive oil in a non stick pan and add the crushed garlic. Saute it well, stirring continuously, till it turns golden brown. Make sure you do not burn the garlic!
- Add the tomato puree, season with salt and pepper. Add the mixed herbs. Stir well and simmer on a low flame for few minutes till the sauce begins to thicken. Do a taste test to check the seasoning.
- Add the torn basil leaves and cream cheese. Mix well for few seconds.
- Dump the freshly cooked pasta and give it a good toss till all the pasta is well coated with the sauce. And serve hot. Easy peasy!