This is a very easy recipe but maybe a bit time consuming. Normally, the potatoes have to be deep fried which is something that I do not prefer. I came across the Show me the curry version where they are steaming the potatoes and then grilling them in the oven to give it a crisp skin. I have tried that once and it has come out pretty well I must say! But this time I thought why not just grill it directly - so I scrubbed the potatoes and grilled them with the skin on and it tasted really good. This dish goes extremely well with steamed rice and curd.
If you do not have baby potatoes in hand you could use the normal potatoes. I am quite sure that would not make a difference in the taste. My potatoes were left a bit too long in the oven so you can take them out as soon as they begin to turn golden brown. I have seen many recipes calling for lemon juice or yogurt but the gravy is pretty tangy due to the tomatoes and I have added some sugar to balance the flavors.
Dum Aloo: Recipe
- Baby potatoes - about 10, scrubbed, washed and cut into halves or quarters.
- Onion - 1 medium chopped
- Tomatoes - 3 big chopped
- Green chili -2 slit
- Garlic - 4 cloves crushed
- Ginger - 1/2" crushed or finely chopped
- Cream - 1.5 tbsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder - 1 tsp
- Red chili powder - 1/2 tsp
- Garam masala - 1/4 tsp
- Cinnamon - 1" stick
- Cloves - 2 or 3
- Salt to taste
- Brown sugar - 1 tbsp or to taste
- Ghee or oil - 1 tbsp and 1 tsp
- Olive oil or vegetable oil - as required
- Carom seeds or Shahi jeera - 1 tsp
- Cilantro - chopped to garnish
- Water - about 2.5 cups or more
- Drizzle olive oil or any vegetable oil of your choice on the potatoes. Mix well. Place them flat on a baking tray and grill in the oven till they turn golden brown. Keep aside.
- While the potatoes are getting cooked, heat oil in a skillet and add the onion, green chili, garlic and ginger. Saute well till the onion begins to brown.
- Add the tomatoes and cook till they are soft.
- Grind this onion tomato mixture to a fine paste and set aside.
- Heat some more oil and add the carom seeds when oil is hot. When it splutters, add the cinnamon stick and the cloves. Fry for few seconds. Add the ground onion tomato paste.
- Followed by the spice powders - turmeric, coriander, garam masala and red chili and also the salt. Saute well till it well cooked. The oil will begin to release from the sides.
- Add the water and simmer for few minutes so that the flavors are well combined.
- Add the cream, mix well and simmer on low heat for few more minutes.
- When the gravy begins to thicken add the grilled potatoes. Cover and cook for few minutes so that the potatoes absorb the flavors.
- Add the sugar and stir well. Garnish with cilantro and serve hot with steamed rice.