This is a slight variation from Sanjeev Kapoor's recipe for Mushroom Dum Biryani. The intention was to make biryani before I realised that I have left over boiled rice from previous day. So I made this into a flavourful rice instead.
Big spice alert! This is a very spicy dish and is not meant for the faint-hearted .My definition of spicy would be the kind of food you wouldn't be able to have without blowing your nose every now and then :D This rice would be close! But being a 'spice gal', I thoroughly enjoyed it. You can have the rice with curd to mellow it down a bit or maybe reduce the spices itself in the first place. Play with the recipe to suit your taste but definitely try this delicious combination of rice with mushrooms. It is real good!
Mushroom Rice: Recipe
(Source: Sanjeev Kapoor's Mushroom Dum Biryani)
- Button mushrooms - 250gm roughly sliced
- Boiled Basmati rice - 2 cups
- Bay leaf - 1
- Cloves - 4
- Green cardomom - 2 crushed
- Cinnamon - 1" stick
- Mace - 1 blade
- Onion - 2 medium thinly sliced
- Tomatoes - 2 medium pureed
- Ginger paste - 2 tsp
- Garlic paste - 2 tsp
- Black peppercorns - 1/2 tbsp crushed
- Red chilli powder - 2 tsp
- Coriander powder - 1 tbsp
- Cumin powder - 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
- Garam masala powder - 1/2 tsp
- Low fat yogurt - 1/2 cup whisked
- Salt to taste
- Oil - few tablespoons
- Fresh cilantro and mint leaves - for garnish
- Heat oil in a kadai and add the sliced onions. Saute well for few minutes till the onions become translucent.
- Add ginger paste, garlic paste and saute for few seconds.
- Add red chilli powder, coriander powder, crushed peppercorns, cumin powder and turmeric powder. Fry for few seconds and add the tomato puree. Stir well and cook for few minutes till it becomes a good gravy.
- To this add the whisked yogurt and garam masala powder.Simmer for few minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and salt to taste. Saute well till they are cooked. Garnish with cilantro and mint leaves.
- Add the boiled rice and mix gently till each grain of rice is nicely coated with the mushroom masala. Serve hot.