This a quick stir fry that I got to learn from my mom recently. Speaking of my mom, she is an amazing cook! Well, all mothers are I guess :) Through years of practice our moms have honed their culinary skills and they come up with such amazing, finger-licking-good food all the time. No matter how much we try to emulate their recipes, it is hard to get past the original...could be their love that makes the difference! Before my mom introduced me to this recipe, I rarely bought black eyed beans as I didn't know what I could do with these beans. Also I was under the impression that they will just end up as another chunky bean when cooked, with not much flavour. So I was pleasantly surprised when I tasted this stir fry for the first time. A great side dish for steamed rice. And the kind of nutrition this bean provides - I am totally for it now and always make sure I have some in stock.
Also called as black eyed 'peas', these beans make a healthy addition to any well balanced diet owing to the high content of fiber, potassium, proteins (great alternative to meat protein for vegetarians) and iron along with being low in fat and calories. Now that is what I call healthy! Moving on to my recipe...
Black Eyed Beans Stir Fry: Recipe
- Black eyed beans - 1/2 cup soaked overnight
- Onion - 1 medium thinly diced
- Green Chillies - 2 roughly chopped or slit
- Garlic - 3 pods crushed
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Vegetable oil - 2 tbsp
- Fresh grated coconut - for garnish
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Cook the soaked beans in a pressure cooker - add equal amount of water, some salt, a bit of the crushed garlic and some of the chopped chilli and cook for about 2 to 3 whistles. The beans should not be too mushy. They should hold their shape. Tip: If you do not have time to soak the beans, you can soak them for few hours in boiling water which will do the trick. Courtesy: My Super Chef Mommy :)
- Heat oil in a wok and add the mustard seeds. When it splutters, add the crushed garlic and chopped chillies. Saute for a minute.
- Add the sliced onion, salt and pepper. Fry for few minutes till the onions are turning golden brown.
- To this add the cooked beans and combine gently. Add some fresh grated coconut and give it a quick toss. Your stir fry is ready!
- Note: the garlic and pepper impart flavour to this dish so adjust it as per your taste.